Underwood University is authorized under federal law to enroll nonimmigrant alien students by issuing Form I-20, with which students may apply for an F-1 Nonimmigrant Student visa. 

Students applying from overseas who are US citizens or lawful permanent residents (“Green Card” holders) must submit a copy of at least one of the following documents to the Office of Admissions.  No declaration of financial support is required. 

  • Permanent Resident Card (“Green Card”) 
  • US Passport
  • Naturalization certification
  • Birth certificate

International applicants who are not US citizens or lawful permanent residents must verify their immigration status with the SEVP-authorized Primary Designated School Official (PDSO) or Designated School Official (DSO) of Underwood University. If such applicants are accepted, they must submit immunization records (forms will be supplied by Underwood University). These applicants must also submit financial documentation demonstrating that they hold sufficient funds to cover tuition, textbooks, fees, and personal living expenses. Such applicants may also submit an affidavit of financial support indicating sponsorship by a third party and providing documentation of financial support sufficient to cover the applicant’s tuition, textbooks, fees, and personal living expenses. Payment of first semester’s tuition, a $100 application fee, $100 facility fee, $100 SEVIS I-20 processing fee, and $100 International Student Fee must be made upon acceptance.

All of the above items must be submitted to the Underwood University Admissions Office no later than four (4) months prior to the student’s enrollment. The university will issue a Form I-20 after all required items have been received and approved by the Admissions Committee.

English Proficiency

 In addition to meeting all other applicable requirements for admission, international students must demonstrate sufficient English language proficiency. This may be done through any of the following: 


  • International Language Testing System (IELTS) score of 6.5 or higher
  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores of 550 or higher on the paper test, or 79-80 on the internet-based test
  • Underwood University in-house Test of English Proficiency score of 70% or higher

 Applicants who are not native English speakers and who do not possess any of the above scores may take Underwood’s in-house English Proficiency Test. Details of this test and the minimum required scores are available in the Admissions Office. Certain applicants may be required to have an interview with members of the English Faculty to verify proficiency. Underwood University reserves the right to refuse admission to students who do not meet these criteria.